Clipped From Arizona Daily Star
Two Radio Stations Serving Tucson WithRadio Programs Tucson has two radio stations over which programs of three nation-wide and two state-wide networks, as ,well as numerous local broadcasts, are carried. These two stations, KTUC and KVOA, are located in modern, well-equipped plants. Both stations work in cooperation with the Office of War In formation in setting up allocation plans for government messages. The National Broadcasting Com- nanv and the Blue networks serve station KVOA which also is affiliated with . the . Arizona Broadcasting Company, chain which be sides KVOA includes K.TAK ai Phoenix. KYUM at Yuma, KGLU at Safford, . KYCA at Prescott, KCRJ at Jerome and KWJB at Globe. Since October, 1929 KVOA first took to the air. in October, 1929, with 500 watts on a limited time schedule. Power was increased to 1,000 watts December 1, 1936, and the NBC and Blue networks were brought here February 5. 1939. New studios were opened at 45 East Broadway March 1, 1940. R. B. Williams, general man ager .for the past 1 five years, ' is assisted by a staff of 20 employes seasoned in station operation. In addition to its local services, KVOA has trained men for skilled Jobs with the army, navy and marines and has men working in such key war projects as the War Radio Research Laboratories and the Office of Coordinator of Iriter- American affairs. KTUC is now established in its new home at Broadway and Tyndall avenue. Lee Little, general manager, who was formerly associated with the Columbia Broadcasting system of New York City, and Wayne Sanders, program director, previously associated with the Wheeling Steel Employee Family broadcast from. Wheeling, W; Va., are now permanent residents, having purchased homes here. Jerry O'Brien, traffic manager of KTUC, originally from Cleveland, O., is well acquainted with Ari zona s brand of radio fare, having been transferred from Bisbee, Ariz., January 11. All other employes are Tucson residents of long standing. Many News Casts Many news casts are given daily over KTUC in addition to 20 hours weekly of broadcast time donated to the government to keep listeners informed of America's progress on the road to victory. KTUC carries the programs of the Columbia Broadcasting System and is affiliated with KSUN of Bisbee-Lowell and KOY of Phoenix, member stations of the Arizona Network. The daily broadcasting schedule of "Columbia's Voice in Tucson" Is from 6 a. m. to 11 p. m. and is 1400 on the diaL, It was first licensed in July 1926 as KGAR by the old Federal Radio Commission. - . . -.. . ARIZONA TROOP FOUGHT IN '64 Volunteer Unit Battled Apaches During Final Year of Civil War Arizona - being a part of New . Mexico during the greater part of the Civil "War, the territory's con- -tribution to the federal forces were -f credited to New Mexico with the exception of one organization the Arizona Volunteers. Arizona and -New- Mexico gave 6,561 men to the federal' cause of which 277 died . . in service. '. i- ti - :.- .i Soon after the organization of the territory of Arizona, Governor ; Goodwin, on February 20, 1864 called the attention of the war de- partment. to the advisibillty . of raising a regiment . of . Arizona-troops, familiar with the locality and the work, to fight the Apaches. . This authorization was granted by the War Department April 16, for a . regiment to . serve three years, or . . for the war, the officers to be ap pointed by the governor. An attempt was made to raise six com panies. . - Most of the papers covering the enlistment and service of the Arizona Volunteers are in the office of the adjutant-general In Phde-nix. There are letters from C. T. Hayden, and others, recommending Frederick A. Ronstadt as colonel, on the basis of experience in a - similar position in the army of Pesquiera, in Sonora, and others -recommending Henry A. BIgeloW of Wickenburg. Co. A, of Which Robert Postle, of Prescott, was to have 'oeen captain, was recruited to the strength of only 35 men, mainly Mexicans enlisted from the placer fields at Weaver. The men were sworn in at Whipple, October 7, -1865. The -company was mustered out October 15, 1866. Co. B.'of 94 men, had an enlisted strength wholly of Maricopa Indians, gathered at Maricopa Wells' September 2, 1865, and mustered out at Sacaton July 31, 1866. Co. C's enlisted Pima '